Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Support for flash based mp3 players

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 21:03 -0400, christey csee wvu edu wrote:

> Sorry, I should have been clearer.  There are two major types of USB flash
> based players: those that are Mass Storage devices and those that aren't.
> If it is, then Linux treats it like any other USB disk drive, and
> transferring files to it is much simpler.  If it isn't, you'll have to
> reverse engineer its transfer protocol to get files on and off it.  (In
> the case of Iriver, you can replace the firmware to turn one type into the
> other.)  If you have to do this, it would be best to write it as a
> gnome-vfs plugin, so we can at least treat it as a filesystem. (see Sri's
> post about his gnome-vfs driver for non-Mass Storage Irivers)

I am referring to usb mass storage devices, those that are already
accessible through gnome-vfs. I agree that any with custom protocols
should have a gnome-vfs layer to make the interface consistent.

I take for granted that gnome-volume-manager is able to mount the
device, and that it is therefore accessible through gnome-vfs. The issue
i want to raise is the interface of said devices with rhythmbox.

> > Flash based players are used differently. They are used to take some
> > selection of a collection of music portably with you. I don't need 8
> > days of music if i'm only listening to it on the train in the morning.
> > In that case, i'm probably only going to need a CD or two worth of music
> > from my collection, and the selection is probably going to change daily.
>
> I can see how the library / browser interface would be overkill if it only
> holds 20 songs.  Perhaps a flat list of filenames would be better when
> viewing a source that doesn't have it's own database.  It would definitely
> be faster too, as you wouldn't have to extract the metadata.  Would this
> fit your definition of "playlist"?  I would still suggest implementing it
> as a source to avoid confusion with Rhythmbox's definition of playlists.

I am not suggesting altering rb's interface at all, only adding to it. I
envisage these kinds of flash players coming up in rb as another
playlist (see image) - the interface would need minimal (if any)
changes. When a song is dragged from the library to this particular
playlist, it is also copied to the device that backs it.

-nick