Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] SomaFM.com "Groove Salad" with Rhythmbox?

Hi Stephen,

on Friday, 17.09.04, 18:46 you wrote:

> You could also stream it from the mp3 format which definately works.
>
> http://somafm.com/groovesalad.pls  [128 Kb/s mp3]
> http://somafm.com/groovesalad56.pls   [56 Kb/s mp3]

Thank you for your answer, but I'm especially interested in the HE AAC =
aacPlus stream for two reasons:

* I'm on a dialup internet connection with a 56k modem, so under ideal
conditions I would be able to listen to that stream with hardly any
interruptions.

* SomaFM (like all web radio stations) has to cut down their bandwidth
costs in order to survive (or make more profit), so they are planning to
switch their other channels to that streaming format, too. I guess this
will be the future for many other web radio stations, because this
technology enables them to serve more listeners and save money at the
same time.

> I haven't personally had gstreamer based aac decoding work yet.  But
> I am also using the stable released gstreamer and rhythmbox.

As far as I know, the gst-plugin based on FAAD2 is rather new, so it's
possible that it wouldn't work with a stable release of Rhythmbox, not
even for *.aac, *.mp4 or *.m4a files. But receiving HTTP streams is
still another issue, e.g. there is a XMMS MP4 plugin that also plays
ADTS AAC files (the format which SomaFM uses), but it won't work with
the HTTP stream yet, as far as I know. So basically a lot of interested
Linux users are locked out of this specific stream, although it would be
possible to decode it with apps based on FAAD2.

ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen