Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Default Rating

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 11:16 -0700, Matt Jones wrote:
> I think the justification is that 3 is average, so you then downrate or
> uprate music. For me at least, this system is great (most of the music i
> have i have for a reason). The zero-default assumes music you import you
> hate, whereas the 3-star assume neutrality.

Well for me at least, when I have zero (or no stars) on my songs, I
consider them songs that I probably haven't listened to yet or that I'm
indifferent about. To my knowledge, there's not really any way to change
a song to "no stars" once it's been rated, so I don't consider "nothing"
an actual rating. If something is bad or below average, it's one or two
stars.

As for the average thing... Rhythmbox is my default music player, and
sometimes I use it to listen to new music that I may not like. So an
"average" rating doesn't work for this type of use.

I've no objections to three being the default, but could there be a
gconf key to change it?