Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Lyrics link feature?

albertvilella wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong but I happen to remember having seen a link to a website
where you could see the lyrics of the song being played in Rhythmbox?

Has that feature disappeared or it never happened to be there?

Albert.

I don't know about the link, but what I've always wanted to see is a Lyrics pane, just after the Albums one (like if you add the Generes).

It should look somewhat like this:

| Albums: | Albums: | Lyrics: |
| - smiths | - White Albu| picture your|
|=>=BEATLES===| - Yellow Sub| in a boat on|
| - verve | - Red Album | with tangeri|
| - foo |=>=Blue Album| and marmalad|
|-----------------------------------------|
| # | Title | Artist | Album |
| 3 | Sgt. Pepper's Lonel| Beatles| Blue A|
| 4 | With a Little Help | Beatles| Blue A|
|=5=|=Lucy=In=The=Sky=Wit|=Beatles|=Blue=A|
| 6 | Day In The Life | Beatles| Blue A|

[wow, this took long to make...]

Anyway, it might be even better if the Lyrics pane came on the bottom, next the Songs one.

like this...

| Artists: | Albums: |
| - smiths | - White Albu |
|=>=BEATLES==========| - Yellow Sub |
| - verve | - Red Album |
| - foo |=>=Blue Album |
|-----------------------------------------|
| # | Title | Artist | Album || Lyrics: |
| 3 | Sgt. P| Beatles| Blue A|| I read the|
| 4 | With a| Beatles| Blue A|| About a lu|
| 5 | Lucy I| Beatles| Blue A|| And though|
|=6=|=Day=In|=Beatles|=Blue=A|| Well I jus|

I know, it looks a bit bloated and like there's not enough space for it, but it's only because it's an ASCII thing and not the real thing. Also, it should be an option, just like howing the Generes pane is.

As a lyrics lover, while using RhythmBox I often spend my time googling for the current playing song ($title + $artist + 'lyrics'). After a while I get tired clicking on a song's name every 5 minutes, and stop watching the lyrics.

I think that if RhythmBox showed the lyrics of the current playing song, it would be a real killer feature that leaves the other players behind, and finally does something REALLY original that isn't taken from the iTunes features-list.

I know, not everyone are interested in viewing the lyrics, that's why it should be an option.

Of course, there are many ways to find the lyrics. The best one (and hardest to code, I guess), is to decide on the best lyrics website and build an engine to search it and strip the HTML from the it. But there are others easy options, like showing the first result from the google search with GtkHTML (I think that this is how it's called). Anyhow, the easiest thing to do is to show the lyrics tag that is stored in the MP3 or OGG file (the problem with this solution is that not many people have their music tagged with lyrics).

I hope you understood everything I said, eventhough my English isn't too good... :-s

I'm starting to learn how to code with C, so maybe I'll try implemeting this feature in a few months, when I'll know some real stuff :)

Have a nice day,
Yo'av.