Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Portable player support

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 20:21 +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> > May I humbly suggest looking into using HAL for doing the detection
> > part instead of putting this in rhythmbox proper? HAL more or less
> > keeps a list of the devices plugged in as well as data merged from
> > device information files. Such as whether a device is a portable music
> > player.
>
> For the iPod, we need to know if an iPod is plugged, but more
> importantly, it needs to be mounted, and rhythmbox needs to know where
> it is mounted. Can HAL help for that ? ie is it possible to know things
> like « there's an iPod plugged in, and its partitions are /dev/sda1
> and /dev/sda2 » ? gnome-vfs can then be used to know if it's mounted and
> where.

And HAL can be used to detect all this as well, gnome-volume-manager
will mount the partitions it can. You don't have to do anything :)

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
The plan was simple, like my mate Trev. But unlike Trev, this plan just
might work.