Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Unwanted initial delay

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 12:42, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> Hehe, if you do something non-normal, it's always a good idea to tell
> this. :)

Touche!

> Yes, the current release of gst-plugins reads a whole ogg file before
> starting playback. This is optimized away in current cvs and should be
> quite a bit faster.

Good to know and good to know that relief is on the way.

> So if that's really the problem, it shouldn't happen with mp3s, right?

Bingo!  I had an .mp3 and an .ogg version of the same song.  The .mp3
plays instantly but I must wait 10s for the .ogg.

Thanks

   Gisli

PS:  Re-adding the library took ages.  I had waited about 3 hours
before giving up and going to bed.  I don't know how long it ultimately
took.  The library is about 4000 files (remember the low-speed
network).  I've did this several times with pre-0.8 Rhythmbox versions
and it never seemed to take more than 30 minutes max.  This is not one
of those things one does frequently and it doesn't matter much, but I
wonder if there is a bad first-impression which could be avoided.