Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] State Of The Rhythmbox - CVS branches,rhythmdb, arch news, and more

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 00:00, Colin Walters wrote:
> Hello everyone, and welcome back to SOTR!
>
> For our friends on gnome-i18n@gnome.org, I'll say their part first so
> they don't have to dig through the rest of this mail:
>
> * TRANSLATOR NEWS
>
> Rhythmbox has branched in CVS.  There's now a RHYTHMBOX-0_5 branch where
> we hope to do a 0.5.4 release, and possibily 0.5.5.
>
> I've committed the --rhythmdb arch branch to CVS HEAD[1].  To
> translators: Please concentrate on the RHYTHMBOX-0_5 CVS branch.  CVS
> HEAD will be changing quite rapidly (including string things).  Or if
> you're feeling ambitious you could use arch for translations :)
>
> (Translators, that's it for you, but feel free to read on if you
> like...)
>
> * RHYTHMDB
>
> As I mentioned, the RhythmDB work I've been hacking on for the past
> several weeks has been commited to CVS HEAD.  If you're feeling
> adventurous, please try it out!  It's "somewhat" stable, but there's
> still lots of functionality to restore, and tons of room for improvement
> in usability and especially speed.  I think it's definitely at the point
> where other people can hack on it and help fix things.

Great

> So what's cool about RhythmDB?  One thing you'll probably notice first
> is that queries are completely asychronous.  In fact, I invested a
> fairly large amount of development time ensuring the UI *NEVER* blocks
> for more than about 3/4 of a second.

/me loves RhythmDB already even though he hasn't used it yet.

> The one noticeable area where RhythmDB is noticeably *slower* than the
> old code is when switching back to "All".  I think I know how to solve
> this though (basically just keep around a cached "All" query model).  In
> fact, generally speaking RhythmDB's architecture will allow for
> optimization much more easily.  For example, we could cache frequently
> used queries, or queries for highly rated songs, or both.  Also the
> query optimizer that is there in the treedb now is fairly stupid, but I
> know several tricks I could use to boost its speed.

great, speed = good

So is RhythmDB written in a way to be backend independent?? I mean can
we make it support libgnomedb later on and use sqllite or something??
just curious... if so, once we get a solid 0.6.0 release perhaps we
could play around with new backends... without breaking the internals
thanks to RhythmDB.