Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] .la files???

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 18:58, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> El jue, 18-09-2003 a las 19:55, Douglas McMorris escribió:
> > I recently reinstalled linux and installed xd2 then xd unstable from
> > there.  I think i built rb at some point before i upgraded to xd
> > unstable... anyways...
> >
> > when i try to build it now i get the following error:
> >
> > libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib/libgnomevfs-2.la'
> > make[2]: *** [test-rhythmdb-simple] Error 1
> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/douglas/Code/rhythmbox/rhythmdb'
> > make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/douglas/Code/rhythmbox'
> > make: *** [all] Error 2
> >

> > what is a .la file???
>
> It's a library like .so but it's for static links, it should be inside
> the gnomevfs devel package.

Not entirely true, .la files are generated by libtool when it builds so
that if the files are linked on weird platforms it has all of the
information required.  However, Linux is not one of these weird
platforms and bugs in libtool means that .la files cause more breakages
than they fix a lot of the time.

> > anyone know what i can do to fix this??
> Just install the development package for gnomevfs.

If this doesn't work (i.e. its already installed), one solution is to
simply delete /usr/lib/*.la. Honest.  Just move them to ~/la-files/ if
you don't trust the system to still work after they have been removed.
Note that a lot of distributions have started to delete the .la files
from the packages.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com