[Rhythmbox-devel] desklet, revisited

I have been trying to work on a rhythmbox desklet since the last one
seemed to stall.  I'm running into similar problems.  I use this query:

rb =  bonobo.activation.activate(
"((repo_ids.has('IDL:GNOME/Rhythmbox:1.0')) &&(_active == true))"
)

to make sure I only get an interface to an active rhythmbox, and in
addition call it every time the update function is called.

However, I'm occasionally seeing lockups in both gdesklets and
rhythmbox, corresponding to either opening or closing rythmbox.  My
guess is that there is some delay between closing and the bonobo server
realizing the object is closing, causing calls to be made on
subsequently invalid objects.  Can anyone suggest a workaround for this?

rgds,
james