Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] sorting on multiple categories

I think it would be quite intuitive if this worked the way Chris
Peterson described yesterday.  For example, if I want to see a major
sort by Artist, minor sort by Time, I should first ask Rhythmbox to
sort by Time followed by a sort-by-Artist.  This is not the way
Rhythmbox works now.  The reason seems to be a tendency to keep things
ordered by Album and Track number rather than leaving things in a
previously established minor order.

In a few cases, sort requests are simply overridden.  One would, for
example, assume that sorting by Track, might order all tracks 1 first,
followed by all tracks 2, etc.  This does not happen.  Instead there is
a major sort by Artist, minor sort by Album, minor-minor sort by Track.
Admittedly only a nut would want to see his song library with all
tracks 1 followed by all tracks 2, but when considered as part of a
sequence of sorts it does start to make sense.

I should say that I don't find the built-in strategy unreasonable and
some of the alternative sort orders that come to mind are mostly of
academic interest.  The only point I wish to make is that the built-in
behavior *prevents* some sort orders.

Major sort Artist, minor sort Time or major sort Artist, minor sort
Title are not possible.

Gisli

PS:  Rhythmbox 0.6.0 is amazingly improved.  And I thought the 0.5.x
series was good.  Thanks all.