Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] tagging hit GStreamer

> have "Artist" and "Performer" in monkey-media.
> What we could do is:
> - Artist and no Performer: the Artist is the Performer ("pop" music)
> - Artist and a Performer: the Artist is the Composer, Performer is the
> Orchestra/Director playing the tunes (classical music).
> I would think this was how it was intended.
>
> Or we could trash the Performer bit, and simply use Artist and
> Composer...
>
> What do you reckon?
>
> ---

I'm sure everyone has seen this before but here is a list of all of the
frames from id3v2.4.0.

http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames.txt

What I found when sifting through this, was that there is a Composer
field (which is TCOM not COMP which I incorrectly mentioned before).
The performer stuff gets a little more hairy.

I believe that the tag that is used not for Artist is TPE1 which is
described as 4.2.2 TPE1 Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s).

So I think that should stay the way it is and be used to describe the
person who is singing/playing/pontificating and the Composer (TCOM) tag
can be used to identify the person responsible for writing the
work/piece/song/poem.  In rock/pop/country/etc this is usually the same
and in those cases I would assume that Composer would simply be skipped
for convenience.  For classical, however, both would be very helpful.

So I guess in answer to you question, I think the performer tag and
artist are redundant as far as id3 goes.  So I would go with Artist and
Composer.

John