Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Fedora + mp3?

Chris Petersen wrote :

> Just noticed that freshrpm's has released a gstreamer-mp3 rpm, and
> figured I'd give it a try instead of the one that my friend compiled
> (not that it would make much difference - he's pretty experienced at
> making rpm's).
>
> Anyway, I installed it, and checked my .6 rhythmbox (built from Seth
> Vidal's src.rpm file) with no luck, and then tried Seth's binary rpm
> with the same bad luck.  Ogg, etc work fine, but no mp3.
>
> Has anyone been able to get mp3 playing working properly in Fedora?

What does it tell you? I have some long lasting issues with gstreamer on my
laptop (on which I use ALSA), so I can't test anything gstreamer related
properly. When I added my gstreamer-mp3 plugin, rhythmbox started
"playing", although I had no sound. I've had success feedback from quite a
few people, though.
Is your rhythmbox compiled with libid3tag support, meaning it at least
indexes mp3 files? If not, recompile it with it (seth's package is actually
Red Hat's slightly modified in which I included a 0/1 option for that) or
just try this package :

http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/testing/1/rhythmbox/

Note that there is also a xine-enabled rhythmbox in the "rhythmbox-xine"
directory at the location above.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
Load : 0.43 0.56 0.69