Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Will work on shuffle/random.

On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 02:13, Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:

> I plan to work on the shuffle and random algorithms over the next week
> or so. I expect to be done by the end of next weekend, but it could take
> me over thanksgiving.

Cool.

> 1) Linear
> 2) Shuffle (re-randomize on repeat)

If we're talking about what happens when shuffle is checked; clearly, I
think it should shuffle.

This means playing all the songs in a random order until all songs have
been played.  If repeat is checked, then at that point a new random
order is computed and the songs played through again.  If repeat is not
checked, playback should stop.  Right?

> Coming from the C++ tradition, I plan to implement these as a class
> heirarchy (methods for get_next() and get_previous()). Which one is
> instantiated will be up to a GConf option,

Well, if you wanted to do this with multiple objects like this, you
could break all the core forward/next logic out into separate objects
from RBShellPlayer.  There would be RBSimplePlayController which would
just get the next/previous entry from the entryview, and a
RBShufflePlayController.  Repeat would be simple logic inside both of
them.

> but I'll leave the UI up to
> you guys. ;) I'll probably attach the object to the player but give it a
> reference to the entry-view and let it define callbacks.

I think the player should be instantiating and driving the object.

I'm not sure where you're going with the GConf stuff; does anyone out
there really want a purely random mode, or even a random weighted by
rating or play count?

This is a digitally signed message part