Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Yet another user interface proposal

On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 06:41, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:

First, thanks for working on this.

> SIDEBAR
>
> The sidebar acts like a source selector and no more like a view
> switcher. No more menu merging, the only piece of ui that could change a
> bit when changing source are filters.
> This is mostly a code change, since the views was pretty consistent (or
> was planned to be), but I think it will have positive effects in the
> future, forcing us to not evolve in one of these terrible all in one,
> viewed applications.

The toplevel information display will have to change too.  For example,
internet radio stations don't have artist/album information, and they do
have web links (which local files generally don't).

But in general I think I agree with you.

One other issue; not only will what filters are active have to change
when switching sources, but their layout will too.  For iradio there is
really only one filter which makes sense, in particular genre.  And
putting one enormous filter on the top takes up too much room.  I have
it laid out on the side:

http://web.verbum.org/~walters/files/shots/39.html

I think that in order to implement this, we will need something like a
view internally.  I also like the views for the code modularity they
give.  They probably shouldn't be called a "view" anymore; "source" is
probably a better term.