Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] startup time

On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 23:56, Shaun Guth wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 23:38, MArk Finlay wrote:
> > I vote splash, because I never think that we can get to a stage where we
> > can be sure it will load instantly with any size of library.
> >

> I agree - There should be less than .4 second delay between when a user
> launches the program and they get some sort of visual feedback on the
> screen.  Any longer and the program is perceived as being 'slow'.

.4 seconds is really not doable. Loading up the current UI even without

However personally i think splashscreens are a bad idea ... they clutter
my desktop without being useful, and some of the worst ones are always
on top and cant be moved around. What I would love to see myself is xalf
back in gnome, so we have a nice clock cursor or something when an app
is starting. That is a great form of non-obtrusive launch feedback imho.

> As a plus, the rhythmbox name is catchy; so it should be easy to inspire
> an artist to create something really groovy for a splashscreen :)

That's no problem :) Jimmac already made us a cool splash back when we
still had one (the 0.2 series).

Cheers