Re: Requesto for string freeze break in gnome-utils

Hi Danilo,

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 13:19 +0100, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Hi Emmanuele,
>
> Since this is for the direct benefit of translators (at least a dozen
> teams can't do the job properly without ngettext()), I give out my
> i18n approval.

> or users would be seeing "%d definitions found" (translated, of
> course) without count being substituted (be sure to fix this in HEAD
> as well).

Fixed, both in HEAD and in gnome-2-14.  Thanks for the bug: I've never
used ngettext before. :-)

> For the other string freeze break request, it's about 4 new
> not-so-short messages, and I feel it would be better resolved as
> Vincent proposed: use different filename instead without introducing a
> single new string.

If the rename goes awry, I'll have to add a string in order to inform
the user.  The new version, following Vincent's proposal, renames the
file (if found), and just adds the following string:

"Unable to rename file '%s' to '%s': %s"
	- error message for g_rename(): first is the name of the
	  old file, second is the name of the backup file and
	  third is the error message as returned by g_strerror();

The revised patch will hit HEAD as soon as I send this mail.

> However, since translators will now have to update their translations
> for gnome-utils anyway, here is an i18n approval for that change as
> well, if you insist in carrying it through.

Thanks.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--