Re: Common knowledge in jhbuild for funny modules

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 18:55 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
> /me starts cheerleading federico on
>
> I don't know the answers, but the building-gnome nightmare is long
> overdue for discussion.
> Magnus Therning spent a similar amount of time recently, with the gory
> details archives on the gnome-love list.  I totally agree with you.
>
> Most of the build issues are due to the fact that we allow
> dependencies on cvs versions of freedesktop.org modules.  I'd like to
> propose that we move away from that, and just pick certain tarball
> versions to depend on at the beginning of a release; and require
> specific proposals to allow dependencies on newer tarball versions if
> issues come up.  Thoughts?  Comments?

I would be very interesting in hearing the opinions of people like
Josselin Mouette <joss debian org> who build new releases of GNOME for
their respective distributions regularly. How do they keep up? What
tricks are they using? Can we steal some of their ideas?