Re: Decisions we didn't intend to make [Was: Minutes of the meeting (2006-07-31)]

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 22:02 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

> Given that we don't even have rules for the Desktop suite, this is a
> blank issue.

Addendum:

We *really* need to have API/ABI stability rules even for the Desktop.
Right now we put random irresponsible libraries there; they are not
compelled to be stable, and things break all the time.  Libwnck, D-Bus,
evolution-data-server, etc.

I think we could lay some groundwork on practical rules.  They'll be a
pain in the ass at first, but they will lead to much better software:

- Desktop apps need forward and backward compatibility for their
configuration data.

- API/ABI stability.

- Sabayon hooks?

  Federico