Re: [Planner] Resource dependencies

Richard Hult wrote:
tis 2004-01-06 klockan 19.14 skrev Sheldon Simms:

Since I'm the one who started complaining, I'm willing to help out.
I'm a good C programmer, but I don't have a lot of time at the moment
and don't know anything about the internals of Planner. If that still
sounds useful, toss me a task...

There are a few subtasks:

1. Figure out how to display the dependency visually.

2. Implement the visual part (planner/src/planner-gantt-row.c and
planner-relation-arrow.c mostly).

3. Come up with a good algorithm for leveling the resource load.

4. Add the dependency (called relation in the code) type everywhere that
dependencies are handled.

5. Implement the algorithm (mainly
planner/libplanner/mrp-task-manager.c).

If people think that this is a good idea to do, I think 1 and 3 are good

On #1, if we use color or arrow style, then we probably have to make it available to the user to mark any dependency in that manner, not just those produced by the resource leveling tool.  That's because the designation should mean "dependency implied by resource constrains" not "dependency produced by the leveling tool".

Also, what follows is that we probably should mark the tasks with overcommitted resources in the same manner if they're not leveled. It would make it easy to see which need to be leveled.  The user should be free to mark any task with this designation manually.

The styles probably should go to the "preferences".  Maybe we come up with some sensible default.
starting points.

Regards,
Richard