MS Project import/export

Hello, Planner developers,

I would like to talk about MS Project import/export in Planner.
This topic has been started one day:
http://lists.imendio.com/pipermail/planner-dev/2004-May/002065.html

But seems that there was no interest in this feature in 2004.
Let me say several words about this. I believe that this feature is
really actual now in 2007 - with MS Project import/export Planner would
be a strong competitor, a real alternative to MS Project, especially in
Linux world.

Yes, I see, you do not like MS Project, me too! But all business people
want to see plans in MS Project format. Even if Planner looks great
(it's true ;-) ) and free, business people do not want to install and
learn something else. Useless to convince... What we can do is to
provide a CHOICE - some people use MS Project, others may use Planner.
It is impossible now since we have different file formats. If we could
make import/export from/to MS Project format, everybody would be happy.

Currently, this topic is being discussed in MPXJ mailing list:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=31666279&forum_id=28741

Jon is going to implement Planner file support in his MPXJ Java library
(http://mpxj.sourceforge.net).  It's a great idea! But I think also it
would be great to have MS Project import/export in Planner itself. As I
understand, there exist all necessary libraries to read MS Ole fiiles
and we have MPXJ sources for reading MPP/MPX and writing MPX.
If there are C/C++ programmers which are interested in doing this, let
us coordinate our work with Jon and try to make Planner a nice choice
for users! I am a Java programmer (I have done some C++ projects for
Windows ~5 years ago) , but I will try to help where possible!

--
Victor