Re: [Planner Dev] Re: Planner win32

Michael Devenish kirjoitti:
Hi Jani,

Hi all.

Well, been busy since I got my new laptop and finally I've had time to get back to Planner, specially for win32 port of it.

I've "bad news" for all. I suspect that it'll take very long before there exists native win32 version of Planner.

Biggest reason is lack of suitable tools to produce windows version of libs needed by Planner and of course Planner itself.

Still I'll continue support cygwin/X edition of Planner.

If in future there is possibility build cygwin/X under eg. Visual Studio then it would change all...

MinGW is otherwise great but it lacks suitable perl, and some other require tools don't build without perl XML::Parser.

Contrary to this sad thing I'm prepared to start contributing on core app itself.

--

Jani Tiainen

I've been following the discussions on the evolution win32 port at sourceforge
< http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=120820 >
and they had the same problems regarding perl and MinGW when trying to build with XML::Parser. One of the developers said to use ActiveState ActivePerl
< http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/ >
for libraries including XML::Parser, see following quote:

"Get ActivePerl, install to C:/perl, and delete mingw/msys"s perl files, and add this to your /etc/fstab:
c:/perl /
This seems to be working, and ActivePerl contains all the necessary libs and all the other Perl modules that are quite common, all working for Win32 perfectly".

There are some other useful bits of information on porting to win32 in the project mailing list. Hopefully a win32 port of Evolution will make porting Planner to win32 easier.

Thank you very much for information. ActivePERL is familiar to me, vut I couldn't get it working with msys last time =). I'll take a look, since biggest (?) problem so far was this bloody XML::Parser perl library. Other libs are known to compile "out-of-box"

--

Jani Tiainen