Re: [Planner Dev] Compilation of database access with gcc 4

On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 16:38 +0100, Richard Hult wrote:
> Jon Wilkins :
> > My next step is to try building with gcc 3.3 instead or against newer
> > versions of libgda, but I'd rather find a better solution....
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this?  What did you do to get around it?
>
> It's just a compile warning introduced by gcc 4. When building from CVS,
> planner defaults to treating warnings as errors. If you pass
> --with-compile-warnings=yes to autogen.sh, it should build.
>
> Regards,
> Richard

Thanks Richard - After a lot of head-scratching I gave up trying to work
out why I could build the latest Release but not CVS.  Now I know why,
it seems so obvious!

In the past hour I've found that the specific warning is -Wreturn-type
which is being enabled by -Wall .  By passing the environment var
CPPFLAGS="-Wno-return-type" to the configure script I've managed to get
it to build reliably (& without manual editing of the makefiles!)

jon

--
// get the picture! http://jonwilkins.smugmug.com //