[Planner Dev] Re: Planner-dev Digest, Vol 24, Issue 8

You are right, dotProject is not strong about UI. The more important concept I like (and I assume is the same for StreberPM) is to have all the data for all projects in one database. It's a powerful concept, much more flexible than having individual files. What I can say in defense of dotProject (yeah, I'm biased, I know) is that it appears to have a better DB structure. Not that it doesn't have its failures - the access control policies weren't well implemented, there are many gaps that I'm still trying to fix.

I'm interested in dP also because I already use it, and I implemented an additional feature that's being very useful (and I would like to use in Planner someday): I don't attribute a 'duration' to tasks; instead there's a new field called 'workload' in which you assign how much time each assigned programmer estimates to finish that task. Then, I have a function that checks each user's calendar for available time and assigns a 'workload record' to it in the next available days, until the total workload quota is met. The function, after assigning workload records for all the programmers, checks the date for the first and last ones, and automatically gives me the start/end dates and duration for the task.

But, instead of using specifically dP or Streber, maybe could be implemented a standard interface for storing and retrieving project information to/from a database, in which 'connector modules' could be made by the community (including me) to make Planner work with both, and others too.

Regards,
Fabio Ceconello

kurt maute us wrote:

Thoughts?

Message: 3 Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 10:01:11 -0500 From: Kurt Maute <kurt maute us> Subject: Re: [Planner Dev] Fixing database support To: Planner Project Manager - Development List <planner-dev lists imendio com> Message-ID: <1132930871 2724 111 camel dori> Content-Type: text/plain On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 09:52 -0500, Kurt Maute wrote:

On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 10:09 -0300, Fabio Ceconello wrote:

> I highly recommend that you take a look in dotProject > (dotproject.sourceforge.net). If you would like to take a look in my > dotProject installation, I can give you a login. And if you need some > help in the development effort, I think I can spare some time to it, so > please contact me.

Sounds like a good idea - though having looked at dotProject, the UI
leaves much to be desired.  I like the UI for StreberPM better, but more
likely its more immediately important to have a similar feature base.
Oh yeah, Streber PM can be found here: http://www.streber-pm.org/