Re: [Planner Dev] file locking

Xavier Ordoquy wrote:

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 22:28, lincoln phipps openmutual net wrote:

I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to touch a <filename>.lock file...
In a large organisation it could be a handy feature.

Users with modification rights on the planner file but no directory file
creation would be a trouble (could be in user's home).

I'm guessing he's talking about shared directory areas e.g.
a SAMBA or NFS area somewhere in the world of which a certain
group of people have read/write/create privileges.

It would still be a monolithic file operation i.e. we're not
talking access controls to part of the file - now that would
be hard.

If we did create this basic flow would be,

User selects which file to open via file picker or history.
Planner creates a lock file URL which is the file URL plus .lock
If lock file exists then warns user that file is only opened
with read-only and that file is locked by ?????

Who locked the file is found by cat'ing the file.
I'd expect that instead of just touching the file we
would create a file with contents of....

'whoami' @ 'hostname' on 'date'

or something similar.

Removing stale locks is always one of those things and I
suggest that at the "The file is locked" dialog we offer
the ability to,

	Read Only
	Force Open
	Cancel

The Force Open option will unlink the current lock file.
If this fails then the user reverts back to read only and
is suitably warned.

If it works then the user is back where they wanted
to be and we create the new lock file with the desired
name but with new contents for the new user/host/date

On open as read-only the Save button is made insensitive
until the file name is changed with a save-as. or howver
that works in GNOME VFS code.

Lincoln.

Regards,
Xavier Ordoquy.