Re: [Planner Dev] Porting to Windows

Jon Wilkins wrote:

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 18:13, Jani tiainen wrote:

Richard Hult wrote:

That would ease up building. Now I have hacked a lot in Makefiles to get all necessary thing to get into compiled.

I'm doing port same way as it is done in Cygnome2. First you run configure, after configuration you patch Makefiles etc. to get compiled.

Hopefully someday this could be done without such a hassle.

Thanks a lot for looking into this.

No problem - I have great interest to get Planner up and running in Windows environment.

Jani,

If you want help testing windows patches let me know... As a PM that
uses Windows at work and Linux at home, MSProject is often the only
reason I dual-boot the home machine back into Windows...   Whilst
Planner is nowhere near as feature rich as Project (yet) there are some
of my projects where I could actively use it.

And having Planner work on *both* would be a real plus long term. Afterall, there's no suggestion MS would ever port Project!! Projects
like Ethereal & Firefox (to name just two) have proved that cross-dev'd
apps can be achieved (though I've no idea how close the Win & Lin
codebases are on either project).

jw
----
As a footnote to my first posting on this list, I'd just like to say
"hi" to all.  I've long hoped for a decent PM tool that didn't lock you
into MS operating systems or lock you into using MS Exchange for
collaboration or MS SQL for a database backend etc,,.  The idea of
backending a project plan onto an open source database is fantastic...
I've build many little web tools in the past but being unable to link
project plan data straight in has always been annoying.  I can see so
many of my tedious tasks (invoicing, reporting) being automatable...
giving me, as a PM, more time to do other stuff. Anyway, it's great to
see this project is in active development and hope there's some way I
can lend the occasional hand!

Well I managed to compile, and get running Planner in Cygwin + Cygnome2 environment. For some strange reason I have "View" and "Actions" menus completely empty. Any particular thing I should look for fixing?

--

Jani Tiainen