Re: [Planner Dev] KPlato and Planner file format

Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
Hello!

Hi,

If possible we (the KPlato team) would like to move to a standardized file format for project management to increase interoperability. A few considerations and options are already on the table, ranging from creating a completely new OASIS specification (maybe extending the Open Office format) to adapting the PMXML standard. Here are some links on the subject:
http://proj.chbs.dk/specifications/   (file format collection)
http://www.projectoffice.com/xml/xml.asp   (PMXML format)
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office

Another consideration is of course Planner (or MrProject). So I would like to know what file format Planner is currently using (is a DTD or Schema available?) and whether it is based on another format or standard. And are you considering to change the format? What's your opinion about PMXML?

We have a DTD included in the sources. However I don't think using our format as a generic/exchange format would be a good idea since our format is pretty much tied to our implementation. Using one of the suggestions above is probably a better move, including improving them if needed. I haven't personally looked into the existing formats in a while now, so I'm not the right person to answer about those.

We could definitely add import/export filters for a common format. Depending on the exact nature of the chosen format, it could be used as native format later on. Our biggest problem right now is a lack of resources so we are focusing on getting a 1.0 release out the door before doing any larger changes like a new file format.

Thanks for taking this initiative, let's hope it turns out successfully!

Regards,
Richard

--
Imendio AB, http://www.imendio.com/