Re: Performance change from X in Fedora Core 4 to Fedora Core 5

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:50:20 +0200, Peter Henriksson wrote:

> I did try these patches to some extent. GtkPerf showed no difference
> whatsoever.

Which says that, to the extent these patches rip cairo out of GTK+
itself, that any slowness is not due to GTK+ having adopted cairo, (as
well as gtkperf can measure, anyway).

> And of course the huge difference of using an older version of
> gtk-engines.

Which says that your gtkperf test is basically testing the performance
of the theme engine you're using, and that gtk-engines 2.7.4 is slower
than 2.6.9. (The new one may be drawing very different things---I
don't know.) But, fortunately, the choice of theme engine is something
much easier to change than which version of GTK+ is used.

-Carl