Re: Fine-grained tasks

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 00:18 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During the Summit we talked about fixing concrete things that are slow:
>
> - Opening a Nautilus window
>
> - Opening a gnome-terminal
>
> - Opening gedit
>
> - Switching components in Evolution
>
> ...etc.
>
> Is anyone working on any of those?  It would be great to share your
> findings :)

Right now, I'm working on profiling gnome-terminal vs. xterm:

	* Launch (several instances in a row)
	* Outputting a very large file

For each, I'm recording:

	* Result of bash's time
	* Sysprof profile
	* terminal CPU usage and X CPU usage during that time
	* responsiveness of system

The results are sort of interesting so far; I hope to finish getting
them all together within a few days (not that there's mountains of data,
but I'm sort of busy :), and providing a temporary link for review
before I blog it.

-Travis