Re: [orbit] C++ Mapping

Andre Marais wrote:

Hi Bowie,

I'm the only developer at the moment. I'll be putting out a new release of orbitcpp shortly. So the project is still active.

I am no CORBA guru, but I have been working with corba based systems for
a while. If you need contributions on a more official level to take
orbitcpp to the next level, then we (the community) have to make it
happen. Let me know if there is place for contribution.

There is definitely a place for more people to contribute. There are a few important ways you can help:

  1. Testing. We need to determine where orbitcpp is broken or
     incomplete. Bugs need to be filed with clear and simple
     instructions on how to reproduce the problem. This may be as
     simple as using orbitcpp in your project and reporting any
     problems you find. Alternatively you can improve the tests that we
     have in the tests/cpp directory try and discover bugs and prevent
     regressions. What we need in the long run is a substatial set of
     tests that confirm that we adhere to/fulfill the standard.
  2. Example programs. What would also be really useful is to have
     orbitcpp used in some meaningful project to demonstrate its
     capability and maybe get us a few more users. I was keeping an eye
     on Inkscape since they are using C++ and have an "it would be
     nice" objective of doing bonobo embedding.
  3. Write code. When a bug is discovered it needs to be corrected.
     Sometimes this is really easy. Sometimes it is much harder. The
     current bug list is available at
     http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=orbit-cpp&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&keywords_type=anywords&keywords=&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&changedin=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&newqueryname=&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=

--
Bowie Owens

CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences
phone  : +61 3 9545 8055
fax    : +61 3 9545 8080
mobile : 0425 729 875
email  : Bowie Owens csiro au