Re: What version of CORBA ORBit to use? Trying to get perl client to talk to BEA Tuxedo 8.0 server...

> 1)  I'm hoping to find a way to write a client application in perl
that makes calls against the IDL interfaces of CORBA servers hosted by
BEA Tuxedo 8.0.  Has anyone already done something like this?  Am I on
drugs for even wanting to try?  Tux 8.0 supports CORBA 2.1 and 2.2 and
IIOP 1.2.  Tux 8.0 claims to support Interoperable Naming Service, so I
was hoping to get an initial IOR to the Tux NameService that way.  I see
in http://icps.u-strasbg.fr/~genaud/ORBIT/c42.html#AEN66 that ORBit does
_not_ yet support INS, although I swear I saw in other docs that it does
(i.e., http://orbit-resource.sourceforge.net/faq.html).

You can connect from orbit-perl to any reasonable name server. Load
CosNaming.idl into orbit-perl, then obtain and narrow the object
reference to the name server. Narrow to
'IDL:omg.org/CosNaming/NamingContext:1.0'.

Make sure the name server is running and you supplied it's IOR as
-ORBNamingIOR on the ORB initialization options or as ORBNamingIOR in
your .orbitrc.

> 2) What is the most current version of the Perl mapping for ORBit?
 What version of ORBit should I use with it?  Is there/where is a Perl
mapping for ORBit2?  I saw mention in the mailling list archive that a
perl mapping branch was going to be added to ORBit2, but I don't see
anything perl related at http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/ORBit2/. I'm
currently using CORBA-ORBit-0.4.5 from CPAN and ORBit-0.5.17, and I'm
seeing the bug below so I haven't even tried to talk to the Tuxedo ORB
yet.

I just uploaded 0.4.6 to CPAN. Please use that with ORBit 0.5.17.

> 3) I get a crash when I try the example code in the CORBA-ORBit-0.4.5
examples.  Any idea what is going wrong, or what I'm doing wrong?  It
looks like I'm sooooo close it's infuriating...

This crash is fixed by 0.4.6. Poor testing of 0.4.5 was to blame. My
apologies.

-Huw