my "0.4.4" patch (was Re: Does CORBA::ORBIT place any constraints on the IIOP?)

The patch I sent out is entirely unofficial. I upped the version in the
patch simply in order to differentiate the patched version from 0.4.3.
I have asked Owen to make a new release, but he hasn't responded.

It's also possible to do a delta vs CVS. Some of the things I've changed
that are not in CVS fix fairly serious problems.

Generally, the lack of a well-tested, widely-used, reliable and
interoperable CORBA binding for Perl is a major weakness of the language.

The problem with ORBit is that as far as I can tell it's almost entirely
used by Linux/x86 developers, mostly involved with the Gnome project, in
software where it only talks to itself and not to other ORBs. This is
compounded by the fact that all new work is going on in ORBit2, which is
even less well tested for interoperability than ORBit stable, and
doesn't work with orbit-perl anyway.

I would propose a binding to omniORB instead, which is a much more
widely used ORB, but that would involve adding a C++ runtime to the perl
module and I am not sure of the consequences of that across platforms.

Owen - do you want someone else to maintain orbit-perl?

	-Huw

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 11:39:03PM +0900, Huw Rogers wrote:
> > Here's a patch for CORBA::ORBit 0.4.3 that brings it up to date with CVS
> > and further adds many bug fixes and patches I've made. Use with ORBit
> > stable 0.5.13 or later (not 0.5.12). Don't use ORBit2.
>
> Many thanks for the patches, Huw. It feels kind of nice to be running
> CORBA::ORBit 0.4.4. ;-)
>
> Which cvs would that be? Does it have anonymous access? All files wan not
> updated at anonymous anoncvs3 gnome org  Anyway, I patched a 0.4.3 into
> a 0.4.4 and did some testing with orbit 0.5.15-2 on a Debain Linux
> machine, to little avail (see below). Does others experience the same
> problem?
>
> > Put this at the beginning of your perl script before the
> > use CORBA::ORBit line:
> > BEGIN { unshift @ARGV, qw(-ORBIIOPIPv4 1); }
> > Now you have an interoperable Perl / CORBA binding.
>
> That is exactly the same as having "ORBIIOPIPv4=1" in one's
> .orbitrc, isn't it?

Probably.