Re: Using remote method-calls over a tcp/ip network

For COMM_FAILURE problem.  ORBit2 use hostname instead of IP
address to resolve server.  Make sure you can connect to your server
via hostname.

I'm using ORBit2 myself and a lot of my customers have the same problem
when setup the ORBit2 client. I think this issue should be put in FAQ.

Regards,
Kuang-Chun Cheng
kccheng openate com

Philip Van Hoof wrote:

Hi there ORBitters,

While I can use my remote-call perfectly if the ORBit-server is running
locally on the same machine as the client, and while this is working
like a charm, I can't get some specific methods, which return a
structure that for example contains a sequence, working over a remote
tcp/ip connection with client and server.

I am always getting a COMM_FAILURE exception. Do note, however, that
when I am running both on the same machine, it 'does' work perfectly
(really perfectly, yes). The server, in this case, is not segfaulting
nor crashing at all. It resumes normal operation indeed.

We are also having other problems with transferring structures that
contain an array between two ORB versions (being ORBit-2 for the client
and ORBit-1 for the server). The transfer of structures with arrays
between an ORBit-1 client and an ORBit-1 server also works perfectly.
But with a ORBit-2 client and an ORBit-1 server, all (stack) data after
the arrays is messed-up. It's causing the receiving server to crash
(segfault in eval.c at line 41. I can give you a backtrace from gdb but
it's not telling a lot except that it's crashing in the ORBit-1 shared
objectfiles).

We are preparing a Hello-World type of application to illustrate both
problems.

We are using the ORBit-1 and ORBit-2 softwares which are included with
Fedora Core 2 and/or with RedHat 7.2 and 8 and 9. It looks like we are
getting the same results on all versions (but we need to test some more
before drawing that conclusion).