Re: corba the right thing ?

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 23:56:37 +0200, Dennis Lubert <plasmahh gmx net> wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> were currently trying to figure out what RPC like environment is the right
> one, and went over CORBA and Orbit. We would like to do some (more or less)
> objet oriented and fast remote calling, and thought we could use corba for
> it. But since were no experts in it, we decided to ask some experts if it
> can do what we need (or easily be extended to do so, we could also hack the
> current implementation if needed).
>
> So I will tell here in some unordered way what we need, and would like you
> to give some comments if corba/orbit/orbitcpp is the right tool to do the job.
>
> We want to do some connection management of our own. Like allowing access
> on a host base. Using out own connections over bluetooth or industrial
> network protocols we have available (all encapsulated into one interface on
> our side). We would also like to have some objects visible/accesible only
> to certain hosts, only locally, or only to hosts with trusted SSL keys. So
> this also means we want SSL encrypted connection with our own certificate
> management. Connections on our side currently can migrate silently from one
> medium to another (in some limited way) so this should be possible too for
> the object-connections. Our objects have all unique IDs which shall make it
> possible to find them somewhere in the network, if they are connected. Like
> a Sensor can be connected to another unknown computer, and through some
> directory service we find it just by uid. We have also some different
> interface which generally provide certain functionality. We would also like
> to have some kind of directory service where we can search for certain
> features. Maybe its built into corba somehow, or we can also realize it as
> objects. We also would like to have some proxying feature, so hosts can be
> asked to proxy connections if a direct one isnt possible...
>
> It would be nice if someone can tell me if ORBit2 (cpp) is the right tool
> to do the job. If it isnt, it would be even better if someone can tell me
> if there is a tool that can do the job.
>
> thanx in advance
>
> Dennis
>
> PS: Please CC to me, as I am not subscribed.
>
> Carpe quod tibi datum est

Hi Dennis,
I am not a expeert in corba but have used it somewhat and try to reply
to ur queries
Corba is quite nice thing u can go for .
If u need to make connections between two objects(computer etc) again
and again than corba gets heavy as it resolves object  names etc and
can be a bottelneck ..
but in case if u r making connection for  one time and then it is useful.
SSL protection will also increase bottelneck.
If ur making connection again and again thens it better to always go
for simple sockets  , although thre r some issues with them but they r
fast.
Thanks
Saurabh

--