Re: Local communication

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 20:00 +0200, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> ORBit2 is said to be optimized for local use

	It's also optimised for in-process use, where it is even faster :-)

> I compared the
> per-call-times with a normal function call and found it to be about 300
> times slower; compared with a "transfer data over named pipe" testcase
> there is still a factor of 15 between the ORBit variant and the native
> one.

	Ok; so - we need some profiling data; can you get that ? so far we've
not really been optimising ORBit2 in recent years so there are prolly
some nice / easy wins in there.

> I'm aware of the fact that it is surely not the best idea to use CORBA
> for non-IPC calls; the argument here is that it will probably be
> difficult enough to teach the people who shall write the code how to use
> a C based object model (it is generally difficult to teach embedded
> people into thinking in well designed software patterns instead of bit
> banging). It will probably be not easier to teach them to learn two
> object models, one for non-IPC and one for IPC calls.

	Sure; have you tried to use libbonobo ? BonoboObject makes CORBA object
use really rather easier.

	HTH,

 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot