Re: MS-Windows client to Linux server ?

Look at how "MICO" builds its DLL's and use it's tool to do so for ORBit.
Otherwise, you end up putting lots of "DLL" and Windows specific "ifdef"
junk into the code.

-Dave

                      Peter Van Osta
                      <pvosta@unionbio-        To:
                      eu.com>                  cc:       ORBit list <orbit-list@gnome.org>
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: MS-Windows client to Linux server ?
                      orbit-list-admin@
                      gnome.org

                      10/31/2003 02:14
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      pvosta

Hi,

Thanks to all of you who answered my question about the MS-Windows
client on MS-Windows for our ORBit Linux server.

Is there a way to build a ".dll" for MS-Windows with ORBit which we
could provide to customers to build their own client software ? Some
people have no idea how to deal with CORBA and cannot build their own
client-software starting from an IDL, so I would like to provide them
with a prebuilt ".dll" for MS-Windows so we only provide them with the
".dll" and an API specification from which they can start.

Which compiler should/can we use on MS-Windows (2000, XP) to create such
a ".dll" ? What about integrating such a ".dll" into MS Visual C++
and/or Delphi code ?

Best regards,

Peter Van Osta

Union Biometrica N.V./S.A.
European Scientific Operations (ESO)
Cipalstraat 3
B-2440 Geel
Belgium
Tel.: +32 (0)14 570 620
Fax.: +32 (0)14 570 621

http://www.unionbio-eu.com/

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pvosta/cvwww.htm

Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 10:42, Peter Van Osta wrote:
>
>>I have developed an ORBit-based client-server system on Linux, but we
>>now get a question for linking an MS-windows based client to our Linux
>>server system.
>>

>            Of course - if your client writes their control app. in Java -
then it
> should be fairly easy; JavaORB interoperates nicely with ORBit2: it's
> the basis of OO.o's accessibility code.
>

>>Are there other ORBs running under MS-windows which a customer could use
>>to connect to our ORBit server ? How do we best communicate the IOR
string ?

>            OmniORB also works well under Windows I understand - is
LGPL/C++