Re: Java Beans and CORBA

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 16:19, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> On Sat, 2003-03-08 at 03:35, Code11Smith007@aol.com wrote:
> > Do Java Beans have the CORBA standard built into their implementation? Can
> > they communicate with ORBs like Omni and ORBit?
> >
> > I heard that Java Beans were built around the CORBA standard.
>
> 	Is it possible you're confusing EJBs and the CCM ? :-)
>
> 	Either way, I believe that's broadly incorrect.
>
> 	Regards,
>
> 		Michael.

EJB containers like JBoss can export EJBs over RMI/IIOP, meaning that
you should be able to call them from any CORBA ORB.

One difficultly is generating IDL with which to call them - normally the
container loads the definition into an interface repository. It can be
hard to generate IDL files from this, and if you do they may have
valuetypes in them.

I haven't done this myself - you'll need to read up on the IIOP support
for a particular EJB container.

Cheers,
Alex.