Re: Orbit under Win32 - Plea for Help!

Hi Adam,

On Sat, 2003-12-13 at 15:58, Adam Buckley wrote:
> I'm using http://orbit-resource.sourceforge.net/win32/ORBit-0.5.1-win32.zip
> because that's the only version I can get to build under windows.  This
> requires MS VC++ 6.0 (right?), so now I have to build my whole project with
> MS VC++ 6.0.

	Ah; so - 0.5.1 is a disaster area; it's years old, essentially
unmaintained and substantially un-fixable ;-) You should really be
looking at ORBit2.

	Tor did some work porting ORBit2 to Win32, but hit some fun problems
with the WaitForMultipleFoo's implementation (I think). The root problem
is that glib's mainloop on Windows is profoundly different and somewhat
limiting (I think).

> At first calls made on the controller by the client just hung.  I fixed this
> by applying the "JAVACORBA" patch to my Orbit source tree as described here:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/orbit-list/2001-December/msg00021.html
>
> The player accepts requests from the controller no problem.  The player also
> successfully calls this method on the controller:
>
> void registerDevice(in string ior, in string name, in StringSeq interfaces);

	You are indeed a brave man :-)

> I really need help with the following questions:
> * Has anyone got Orbit2 to run under win32?
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/ORBit2/ says "The core ORB [snip] runs under
> Windows."  Is this true?

	Masahiro Sakai did at some stage I believe, he may be able to help too;
Masahiro - what's the current status here ?

> * Does anyone know another open-source CORBA implementation which runs under
> win32 and supports C bindings?  There is only ORBit, right?

	AFAIK only ORBit.

> I have a little spare time, and I could host/maintain "ORBit for Win32"
> documentation, but I would need help getting it to work!

	Tor - what was the final status of your work ? - compiling, but of
limited usefulness ? did we get most of your changes in to make it at
least closer to where it needs to go ?

	Thanks,

 michael@ximian.com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot