startx_error

Hi,
I can't log into X, the startx command just hangs at the splash screen, when
I kill it, the following message appears:

WRONG PERMISSIONS FOR /ETC/ORBIT-ROOT (or /tmp/orbit-[user]  if I log in as
another user.

However, my error log lists a different error when attempting to startx:

MODPROBE: CAN'T LOCATE MODULE CHAR-MAJOR-10-134

Does anyone know what the permissions should be for the /tmp/orbit
directories?  And if the modprobe error is related to that issue?
Much thanks in advance!