Re: GEP 8: Runtime Interface Data Generator For ORbit2

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> Hey,
> 	This GEP is a pretty straightforward "Here's what we need and
> here's the implementation - any objections" type GEP. We'll see how it
> pans out.
>
> 	http://developer.gnome.org/gep/gep-8.html
>
> 	Discussion is on orbit-list@gnome.org ...

I don't know very much about ORBit2 (I'm not even subscribed to
orbit-list), but this strikes me as suboptimal from a performance
perspective. I can just see the profiles of apps starting up and parsing
idl files for a long time.

I would much rather see a solution based on typelibs. And by typelibs I
don't mean the current shared library thing, I mean architecture
independent binary files that can be quickly mmaped and decoded by orbit.
Much like the stuff XPCOM and COM uses[1].

If the IDL compiler generated such typelibs, and there were some automake
macros to easily install idl files and build typelibs in
$datadir/orbit-typelibs, then they could be read by ORBit at runtime and
we would get the same benefits as parsing the IDL files except at a much
smaller startup cost.

[1] http://www.mozilla.org/scriptable/typelib_file.html

                   alexl@redhat.com    alla@lysator.liu.se
He's an ungodly hunchbacked ex-con trapped in a world he never made. She's a
bloodthirsty snooty mermaid from aristocratic European stock. They fight
crime!