Re: COMM_FAILURE

Hing-Wah Wan wrote:

> > I tried running ior-decode-2 on the IORs produced by the server on each
> > machine. With the IOR produced by the server on machine B, ior-decode-2 does
> > not output the section IOP_TAG_INTERNET_IOP wheras with the IOR produced by
> > machine A it does.
> > I have no idea what this means - could this be the cause of the comm failure?
> > And if so how do I fix it?
>
> check your /etc/orbitrc or $HOME/.orbitrc for the machine where
> IOP_TAG_INTERNET_IOP doesn't output
>
> you probably get a "ORBIIOPIPv4=0" on the file which disable TCP/IP
> connection
>

> >     Machine A                                            Machine B
> >         server    <--------------------------    client            works!
> >         client     --------------------------->   server           fails!

That /was/  the problem and it now works, thanks. Sorry it turned out to be such a
trivial cause - I'd forgotten that machine B does not save files I've written when
it shuts down under normal circumstances (it's an embedded system rather than a
normal PC) so I'd assumed I still had the ~/.orbitrc file when it wasn't there.

Thanks again!
Katherine