Server shutdown

Anybody know how I can shutdown a server program (i.e. make it exit the
CORBA_ORB_run function) from the client? It's annoying to have the
client run and then exit automatically but then have to kill the server
manually (ctrl-C) - there must be a nicer way!

I tried CORBA_ORB_shutdown and CORBA_ORB_destroy but neither of these
had any effect. Do they have to be called from the server side of
things? But how would that work? Using a thread?

Any help would be appreciated :-)

Katherine