Re: Changing macros to functions

Hi Murray,

On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 15:06, Murray Cumming wrote:
> ORBit2 generates *_alloc() code like this:
>
> #define CORBA_sequence_CORBA_octet__alloc() ((CORBA_sequence_CORBA_octet
> *)ORBit_small_alloc (TC_CORBA_sequence_CORBA_octet))

	ie. you have a single stack frame, a far smaller symbol table, less
code in icache to thrash, faster linking, and faster execution ;-)

> If this was a function instead of a macro, then I might be able to take
> a function pointer, and thus solve this problem in the cpp branch:
>
> http://lists.gnome.org/archives/orbit-list/2002-February/msg00131.html
>
> Is there any chance that I'd be allowed to make that change?

	Nope - if you need this inefficiency it can be added into the C++
stubs, or you can simply call ORBit_small_alloc (TC_my_foo) in your C++
binding, that would seem the best approach perhaps.