Re: cpp in HEAD?

Hi Murray,

On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 20:41, Murray Cumming wrote:
> So when can we start putting cpp stuff in HEAD? We actually plan to use
> the orbit-cpp-cactus branch when it's capable of compiling Bonobo.idl.

	Well - ultimately, the decision as to whether to branch for Gnome 2.1
development is based on how much work is going into the ORB. I don't
really want to be in the position of having to work on 3 branches.

	So - in short; I think with ORBit2 we'll wait until post 2.0.1 ( actual
release, not branch point ), and then create a gnome-2-0 branch. At
which point I'll try to start reviewing the C++ stuff.

	Ultimately we have several criteria for the stuff going into HEAD,
including ongoing ABI/API compatibility, etc. etc. so it's worth looking
at carefully from that angle.

	I hope that's ok ? AFAIR 2.0.1 is due out 1st week of August, so can we
start folding it all in then; I'm afraid it's really looking like a 2.1
feature [ the C++ work ], but then again it's ~4-6 months before we
release 2.1, and most distros will work from the 2.1 branch for releases
(we hope).

	How does that sound ? if that's too painful we could possibly branch
sooner.