Re: REsolving IP address

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 15:59, Ivica Loncar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have to machines:
> 1) main host - client
> 2) vmware virtual machine with an embedded linux distro on it - server
>
> I get ior from server, but I don't have DNS and it seems orbit spins
> trying to resolve server address. Is there a solution?
>
> Since I'm debian user I've tried ORBIIOPIPv4NoDNS option but it seems
> it's not working (I can't find it in debian .orig sources?) Where can
> one find that patch?

You could add lines in /etc/hosts... and then look at /etc/nsswitch.conf
for a line like -

hosts:      files nisplus dns

You want to make sure "files" appears on the line, but no necessarily
first I don't think.

I think this may work. I know that my Linux boxes were picking up host
information here, but my windows hosts were not (they have no such
mechanism that I know of). I ended up having to create a DNS server for
my LAN to fix my Windows woes.