Re: ORBit-0.5.13 TCP/IP networking

   Hi Michael,

   So, I continue running into this problem where clients get these
"Turn on TCP/IP" error messages even though it's configured and turned on
in /etc/orbitrc. If I log the user out and wipe .gconf*, then have the
user log back in, this will resolve the problem for a few sessions. I have
no data on if this is happening after users log in with multiple
concurrent sessions, or if this is happening for other reasons. However,
sometimes I can't even delete ~/.gconf* even with administrator privs:

afs1:/afs/lns.mit.edu/user/krishna# cd .gconf
afs1:/afs/lns.mit.edu/user/krishna/.gconf# ls
%gconf-xml-backend.lock
afs1:/afs/lns.mit.edu/user/krishna/.gconf# ls -al
total 12
drwx------    2 krishna  krishna      2048 Aug  6 19:59
%gconf-xml-backend.lock
drwx------    3 krishna  krishna      2048 Aug  8 13:16 .
drwxrwxrwx   76 krishna  krishna      8192 Aug  9 17:40 ..
afs1:/afs/lns.mit.edu/user/krishna/.gconf# rm -rf *
rm: cannot remove directory `%gconf-xml-backend.lock': Directory not empty
afs1:/afs/lns.mit.edu/user/krishna/.gconf# cd "%gconf-xml-backend.lock/"
afs1:/afs/lns.mit.edu/user/krishna/.gconf/%gconf-xml-backend.lock# ls -al
ls: ior: No such file or directory
total 4
drwx------    2 krishna  krishna      2048 Aug  6 19:59 .
drwx------    3 krishna  krishna      2048 Aug  8 13:16 ..
afs1:/afs/lns.mit.edu/user/krishna/.gconf/%gconf-xml-backend.lock#

   Here I have AFS administrator privs and should be able to delete
anything within the directory. Note the total "4" of files, even though ls
reports nothing but "." and "..". Note also that emacs M-X dired can't
delete the file (or directory), and I've run across few files emacs can't
delete. I've noticed other strange behavior of GNOME apps running in an
AFS environment:

   * Nautilus icons on the desktop and files read and displayed from an
AFS volume within the filemanager will disappear upon the first click. The
file remains, but it's not displayed within the until Nautilus is
restarted. A "refresh" operation does not help.

   * Once gconf goes FUBAR most other Gnome apps won't run properly. This
isn't surprising.

   * I've seen the same problem with Nautilus and excessive gconf errors
(combined with the hidden undeleteable files) across NFS homedir volumes
as well, so doesn't appear to be limited to AFS.

   Note that all Kerberos tickets and AFS tokens are fresh here. So there
are no underlying authentication issues which might be causing this. Any
ideas?

Cheers,
--Maynard