Re: freeing CORBA arguments

--- Mark McLoughlin <mark@skynet.ie> wrote:
> Hi Diego,
>
> On 5 Sep 2001, Diego González wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2001-09-05 at 10:41, Mark McLoughlin
> wrote:
> > > Hi Diego,

> any way to do that?
> > >
> > > 	No, fortunately, there isn't ;)
> >
> > i have taken a look at the CORBA C mapping spec
> from OMG,
> > is it possible to use CORBA_*_set_release
> functions to avoid
> > having to free the values?
>
> 	This is not what these functions are intended for.
> Basically,
> if a sequence or any has a _buffer that has been
> allocated from the
> heap, this should be  set to TRUE.

i see

> 	The fact is - if you don't want the data allocated
> by the ORB
> for the duration of a method invocation to go away -
> you need to 'dup'
> it. Trying to get around this is playing with fire.
> Why is it so
> important to you to circumvent this behaviour?

I'm developing a server that can receive a *lot* of
method invocations, as ORBit blocks while processing
the calls, I would like to spend as little time as
possible in the CORBA methods.

Currently i'm copying the arguments, then i launch a
thread and return.

If i can avoid copying the argmuents, i'm able to
return faster, and thus lock ORBit for less time.

will ORBit2 be multithreaded, so i can avoid doing
this hacks?