Re: non-GUI oaf

Hi Jonathan,

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> All-right, I'm trying to get OAF & shlibs to work from the
> command-line. This is using the GNOME 1.x stuff.  How does my program
> find oafd?  I've attached the files I'm trying to get running, in case
> you want to see what I'm doing.  I generate a skeleton from the .idl
> file, and just do a printf for the method.

        liboaf finds oafd for you - you don't need to worry about that; if
it can't find it then oafd can't be in your path.

        I would suggest always running with export OAF_DEBUG_OUTPUT=1 and
running oaf-slay before you run ( to get that output on your terminal ).

        object_ref = impl_Echo__create(poa, ev);

        What is this ? you don't define this method; I would imagine that
when oaf links this shlib into your proc. and you hit this method, things
will die.

> I tried just running oafd from the command line, and it didn't work.
> The strace output looks like it didn't even get the request.  Anyway,
> if any of you have time, let me know.

        You can't run oafd from the command line; if you want to debug
oafd ( which should be totaly unneccessary ) you have to do:

gdb oafd
r --ac-activate

        which will output the IOR, which you need to shove into
/tmp/orbit-$USER/reg:...-local. Then you can run your client and get it to
use the specified oafd.

        BUT - that is certainly not what you want to do; there is some
more elementary error you are making. What happens when you run it ? what
exceptions does oaf give you ?