Re: Newbie: Asynchronous messaging in CORBA -- is it possible?

Hi Edgar,

On 30 Oct 2001, Edgar Hilton wrote:
> Hi! I'm a newbie, so please be gentle.

        We're always gentle - compassion with a hard edge - to re-coin an
oxymoron[1].

> The question is: how can I get the server to trigger some action in
> select clients? For example, let's say that I am sitting at the server
> machine, and want several of the clients to refresh a list of
> parameters.  How can I do this?

        You need a CORBA impl. at both ends as Rodridgo says - so that you
can pass messages back.

        Very often such notifications would be flagged 'oneway' - ie. the
CORBA method will not (usualy) block, will not wait / allow an exception
or value to be returned. Thus you can quickly fire and forget at all your
clients - without having to wait if one died / blocked in the method.

        Of course, if you use ORBit2 you could use asynchronous method
invocation, but they wouldn't in fact solve your problem.

        HTH,

                Michael.

[1] - ARP Blair or JackBootStraw ?