Re: Questions - 1st pass at a FAQ

Hi Jonathan,

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> Hmmmm...  I looked a bit at bonobo-activation and libbonobo from CVS.
> I found the file bonobo-activation-shlib.c, which looks like it just
> dlopens a file looking for the symbol Bonobo_Plugin_info.  However, I
> couldn't find an example of how to build a server that could be opened
> in such a way.  Can you point to a program that is built that way?

        Certainly, see libbonobo/monikers/, Makefile.am and particularly
bonobo-moniker-std.c. The line that creates the shlib magic is actualy a
macro ( grep will not help you there :-) as defined in
bonobo-shlib-factory.h.

        Also, note that the oaf file is processed to insert the path (
outside the system library namespace but inside /lib/ ) so that the
component is installed in a sensible place, but out of the way to avoid
library naming conflicts.

        It should be 'that' simple, but you need to get your .server file
right, otherwise oaf will probably screw you silently ( I always run with
export BONOBO_ACTIVATION_DEBUG_OUTPUT=1 so I can see it's errors ).

        HTH,