Re: ORBIT foundation question

Hi Dongsheng,

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Dongsheng Song wrote:
> I'm new for orbit, can someone tellme the relations between ORBit,
> ORBit2, ORBit-C++, ORBit-martin-forked, which is enough stable for
> product ?  And can I use JDK nameservice with orbit, or use orbit
> namservice with jdk ? farther, which of them support linuxthread or
> IIOP over SSL, and where can I find examples ?

        Ok;

        ORBit - use the 'orbit-stable-0-5' CVS tag, the current 'stable'
                orb as used in Gnome 1.4

        ORBit2 - the new substantialy re-written ORB for Gnome 2.0

        ORBit-martin-forked - a dead end temporary ORBit2 compatible
                              version, now stale and unused.

        ORBit-C++ - a set of C++ bindings for ORBit

        If you want SSL and thread support you should use ORBit2, although
it's a newer creation, it is actively maintained, much cleaner and has a
chance of working nicely for you.

        HTH,